Thursday 23 July 2009

Wednesday 22nd July

.
Trevor had read on Charlie’s blog (http://parrotletsuk.typepad.com/wldlife_in_a_suburban_gar/) that there was a Slavonian Grebe in Devon and suggested we go and find it (via Dartmoor). I agreed of course, but I was getting impatient with the traveling and lack of bird watching throughout the early part of the day. Traveling is such a waste of valuable time! However, it paid off and my day list hit 48 by the time we arrived home at 10pm. At Cockwood, we found the spot where the Grebe was supposed to be and within seconds we had the scope on the Grebe and it was ticked, but I noticed something else in the background. It took me a moment or two to focus on it as it was so well camouflaged – It was Charlie in his hide at the water’s edge! I had taken some images through the scope, but they were not good and we needed to get closer. Thanks to Charlie we did just that. Charlie is a very keen bird watcher and photographer (and that is putting it mildly!). I have not yet met anyone with his enthusiasm, and it rubs off! He is well organized and travels around on a Moped, which means he can get practically anywhere, with speed and ease!

Slavonian Grebe...






No comments:

Post a Comment