Sunday 11 October 2009

A visit to Torpoint was the requirement for today and an opportunity to have a look around. Unable to lift the camera without pain I decided to leave it in the car. The weather was awful in the morning; not being able to see for the sea mist at Rame Head, but it brightened up in the afternoon, just in time for Wacker Quay – tide out and the highlight of my day. Trevor was out of sorts today having had 2 injections yesterday that can have that effect. When we arrived at Wacker Quay he got out of the car; scanned with his bins and said “nothing here” and went back to the car to read in the warm. Hopefully he’ll be better tomorrow. I wasn’t giving up that easily so I scanned with my bins and out came the scope! My head count at Wacker Quay was 25 species! The real highlight for me was counting 6 Great Crested Grebe – I love them and I’ve never seen that many in one place. My head count for the day was 44. I took a couple of shots today to test the camera and it’s working well – miraculously!

Test shots…The bad quality is down to the poor light and poor photography skills I hope and not down to the encounter with a couple of rocks! There must have been 100 + Goldfinch in this flock, but I only managed to capture these few!


.

.
Some from St Levan some time ago when we saw the Wryneck for the first time. I spotted this Chaffinch preening in the sunshine above me. I think it’s a juvenile.
.

.

.

.

.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    Well goldfinch are quite hard to get close too, so i guess your shot is nice and I love groups shots better than individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,

    Great posting here, fantastic Chaffinch shots. The plumage of it looks to be in great condition.

    The Goldfinch photo looked great too, despite the poor light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute baby bird, so fuzzy and little.
    I hope that you are feeling better and Trevor as well.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete